Discover the hidden treasures of Morocco and its rich culture on this 10 days tour from Casablanca.
During this 10 Days tour from Casablanca, the Grand Morocco magic journey, steeped in Berber Heritage, visits amazing UNESCO Heritage listed sites, the Moroccan Imperial cities of Rabat, Fes, Meknes and Marrakech, Roman ruins of Volubilis. Through the stunning landscapes to the iconic golden Sahara Desert. You will discover the uniquely modern architecture of Hassan II Mosque and see much evidence of Morocco’s antiquity. Discover the most filmed location in Africa, the UNESCO site of Ksar ait Benhaddou. Visit a nomad family in Sahara, share a cup of tea with them and discover their lifestyle.
On this 10 days tour from Casablanca, you will experience sensational camel rides, sand boarding and quad bike riding the golden orange Sahara dunes and enjoy a classic starry sky overnight stay in a Sahara desert camp. You will be in awe of the sublime Atlas Mountains, of luscious Skoura Oasis, of deep gorges, of ancient unique rock formations and shimmering sand dunes of the Sahara desert. Mud villages and Kasbahs will captivate you, as will a visit to view the production of the famous Argan Oil of Morocco. Legendary Medinas and souks will fuel your curiosity throughout this wondrous journey.
“ Please click on each section bellow so that the details of each day will appear ”
Day 1: Arrival at Casablanca airport :
On the 1st day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca, you will meet your Grand Morocco Guide / driver at Mohammed V international airport and get to know the cultural, historic and the economic center of Morocco. Casablanca is a captivating city in which to begin your wonderful Morocco tour which will guide you to see the most important sights of this city.
Today, Casablanca is a modern city with boulevards, modern infrastructure and rich history. You will receive insight into the city’s history and heritage from your driver guide.
Stroll along the Habous Quarter which is one of the most picturesque places in Casablanca with its small squares and narrow arcade streets, a fine example of successful adaptation of modern town planning in style of a Moroccan traditional Medina. Depending on your arrival time, you will visit the Mohammed V Square, Mahkama du Pacha, the famous Rick’s Café, the elegant Notre Dame de Lourdes Cathedral in the residential area of Anfa. You will also visit the famous and 5th largest mosque in the world Hassan II Mosque and the largest Mall complex in Africa (Morocco Mall). A leisurely wander along the seaside of La Corniche in Ain Diab. (Overnight in Casablanca).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 2: Casablanca to Rabat :
On the 2nd day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca and after breakfast in your Hotel/Riad, you will travel to Rabat where we will take the scenic coastal highway north passing through Mohammedia and Temara.
The city of Rabat is the political and administration center of the state, where the Royal Palaces, government institutions and International Embassies are located. The numerous buildings in the city are testimony of its centuries old rich history. Rabat is also the capital of culture by way of its many museums and exhibitions and is one of the Moroccan Imperial cities which is classified by UNESCO as a “Global Human Heritage”.
Rabat’s city walls were built by Yaqub al Mansour, the 3rd Almohad Sultan in the 12th century and one of the strongest Berber dynasties to emerge from the Atlas Mountains. The Berber Almohads controlled North Africa as far as Libya east, Andalusia (Spain today) north and the Grand Sahara to the south. Sultan Yaqub al Mansour also built the iconic “Oudaya Kasbah” and started construction on, what would have been the world’s largest Mosque and the “Hassan Tower” prior to his untimely death. Then came a period of decline for Rabat when the economic power was shifted to Fes by the Marinid dynasty after they conquered the Almohads in the 13th century.
In Rabat, between the Atlantic Ocean and the magnificent Bouregreg river, the area is known for ancient landmarks which reflect its Islamic and French colonial heritage. Our first stop will be in Oudaya Kasbah, which is one of the most important historic landmarks in Rabat. It is considered a tourist attraction due to its historic relics which have evolved from centuries of history of the country and bears the hallmarks of the Andalusian civilization, the features being that of pluralism and coexistence in the Kingdom. This site, a 2012 entry of UNESCO World Heritage listing was originally a military fortress built by the Almoravids empire Sultan Yusuf ibn Tachfin at the beginning of the 12th century to fight the Berber Barghouatian state and became a base for his armies when he fought the Spanish in Andalusia.
While exploring the Kasbah and walking up the steps leading to the imposing gate of Bab Oudaya and winding through the blue and white streets of the Kasbah, you will find Rabat’s oldest mosque, beautiful gardens and exquisite museums. Over the centuries, Berber, Arab tribes, Andalusian immigrants and some of Morocco’s most powerful sultans have called this Kasbah Home.
Next visit is to the King’s Palace. This celebrated complex is the official principal residence of King Mohammed VI of Morocco named El Mechouar Essaid Palace or “Happiness Palace”. It was built in 1864 in the architectural Islamic style. Moving on to visit the striking Mohammed V Mausoleum which was completed in 1971. It houses the tombs of the Moroccan King and his two sons King Hassan II (1929-1999) and Prince Moulay Abdullah (1935-1983). This impressive building today is considered a masterpiece of modern Islamic architectural design. It’s seemingly plain exterior of white walls and typical green-tiled roof contrasts deeply with the elaborately ornamented interior. Morocco’s exquisite traditional craftsmanship is one of the main features guarded within the walls of the Mausoleum, revealing magnificent Zellij mosaics rising from the rich marble floors to the hand carved ceiling of cedar wood adorned with gold leaf.
Across from the Mausoleum stands Hassan Tower which is a 44M tall original minaret of an incomplete Mosque commissioned in 1195 by Yaqub al Mansour, Sultan of Morocco at the time. His intention was to construct the tallest minaret and largest Mosque in the world and to be the center piece of the celebration of the Sultan’s victory over the Spanish Christians at Alarcos but the Sultan’s death in 1199 led to a dramatic halt to the construction which was never continued thereafter. The incomplete mosque sustained damage during the 1755 Lisbon earthquake. UNESCO granted World Heritage status to the site in 2012 and together with the mausoleum they all form an important historic complex in Rabat.
We will then visit the Mohammed VI museum of contemporary art. The building’s architecture was inspired by traditional Moroccan architecture representing iconic structures of the Andalusian heritage. Much of the contemporary art is abstract and you will find works appropriate to whatever artistic taste, to further your cultural exploration of Morocco’s colorful world. There ends the historic tour of Rabat. (Overnight in Rabat).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 3: Rabat to Fes via Meknes and Volubilis :
On the 3rd day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca and after leaving Rabat, we will continue to Meknes and head south east via the stunning Moroccan countryside towards the Roman ruins of Volubilis, where you will undertake a guided walking visit of the ruins.
Morocco has one of the richest histories and cultures globally, influenced by centuries of diverse rulers which includes Roman rule. Explore the ancient Roman city of Volubilis. Dating back to 3rd century BC, Volubilis is home to some of the most impressive Roman ruins in North Africa.
During Roman occupation of Morocco, Volubilis was the powerful ancient capital and administrative centre of Roman Africa and prospered economically. Among the most famous of the ruins are the luxury villas with their water tanks, large courtyard beautiful mosaic floors, various pavilions, Basilica, Triumphal Arch built in 217 A.D and more than 300 temples. It was UNESCO World Heritage listed in 1997.
Depart to the Imperial city of Meknes. Visit the 18th century Bab Mansour gate which is the most exquisite of its kind in North Africa and one of the 4 most beautiful gates in the world, Lahdim square, the Royal stables (film makers also have marveled at this amazing structure and that led to scenes for the movies Ishtar and The Jewel of the Nile being made here) and the incredible Bassin Souani.
Visit Moulay Ismail’s shrine (Sultan of Morocco from 1672–1727) to receive an insight into his interesting life and everlasting achievements.
Continue your journey to the ancient, vibrant and the UNESCO listed Imperial city of Fes. This city is a north eastern Imperial Moroccan city referred to as “The Mecca of the West or The Athens of Africa“, also being the country’s capital of knowledge and culture. Fes is renowned for its exciting and colourful Fes El Bali walled Medina, its medieval Marinid architecture, vibrant souks and old world atmosphere and charm. (Overnight in Fes).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 4: Fes guided city tour :
On the 4th day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca and after a tasty Moroccan breakfast in your charming Riad, today you will begin a full day Heritage tour of Fes, with your expert Grand Morocco local guide. (Walking tour with some transportation between sites).
- Begin with a visit to the 12th century Bab Boujloud or “blue gate”, to observe its stunning blue and green ceramics.
- Visit the largest royal palace in Morocco, Dar el Makhzen, exhibiting its seven golden doors and marvel at its wonderful golden gate, made of marble, copper and glorious mosaics.
- Stroll through the Mellah or Jewish quarter of old Moroccan Jewish heritage, built near the Royal residence for protection in 1438.
- Experience the panoramic view of the city from Borj Sud, an ancient fortress on a hill, from where you can view the UNESCO listed ancient Medina of Fes.
- Visit the amazing pottery factory and observe how the unique pottery of Fes is made with its intricate mosaics, which adorn half of Morocco.
- Visit the 14th century Madrasa Bou Inania religious school and be delighted by the Marinid architecture.
- Discover the holy school and historic University of Al-Qarawiyyin, the world’s oldest educational institution, i.e. University, as stated by UNESCO and the Guinness World Records. Founded by a woman, Fatima al-Fihir in 859 AD.
- Visit the famous 11th century iconic Chouara tannery, the oldest leather tannery in the world.
- Explore the narrow streets lined with shops selling fresh fruits, spices, intricately woven Berber carpets, silk weavers and numerous other art and craft items from Morocco, a must-do while on your 10 days tour from Casablanca.
- Lunch in an authentic restaurant in the Medina of Fes. (Lunch included).
- Visit Madrasa Al-Attarine, Nejjarine Museum, Moulay Idriss Mausoleum (founder of Fes).
- While negotiating the narrow alley-ways, your local guide will instruct you about Moroccan history, culture and the Moroccan Berber way of life, especially around Fes. (Overnight in Fes).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 5: Fes » Ifrane » Middle Atlas » Ziz valley » Sahara desert :
On the 5th day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca & after breakfast, you will begin your spectacular journey towards the long awaited, magical and legendary Sahara Desert, the largest hot desert in the world and where the undulating golden dunes glisten like gold in the sunlight. Travel dreams do come true and this visit to the desert may be one of yours.
• Travel to Ifrane known as the “Little Switzerland of Morocco” and stop for a break to enjoy its marvelous landscapes.
• Here in Ifrane, you will become aware that this magical mountain town is one of the most beautiful cities in Morocco and features in the top 10 cleanest cities of the world. A beautiful place you will admire while on your 10 days tour from Casablanca.
• Navigate the green and superb Middle Atlas Mountains, marvel at the largest Cedar plantations in Africa and be captivated by the antics of the Barbary Apes. This species of Apes is found only in Morocco, Gibraltar and Algeria.
• Stop in Zayda town for lunch and enjoy a Moroccan tajine or some fresh barbeque. Drive through the scenic Middle Atlas Mountains and the striking Ziz Valley oasis, containing the largest palm grove oasis in Morocco.
• Observe a dense canopy of palms between ancient striated cliffs dating back to the Jurassic period.
• Continue travel to the eminent dunes of Erg Chebbi and experience the glory of the Sahara Desert. Erg Chebbi is regarded as the gateway to the Grand African Sahara and has some dunes considered the highest sand dunes in north Africa at 350 M elevation.
• Meet your Camel caravan and the experienced camel man, who will guide your trek to explore the mysterious Sahara sand sea, an unforgetable and alluring trek for your tour in Morocco.
• Enjoy a charming sunset over the Erg Chebbi dunes and spend the night in a Berber desert camp. The evening will include dinner, followed by entertainment around the campfire, listening to traditional Berber drum music, having the experience of a lifetime under the milky way stars. This will captivate your heart and soul, not for a night but forever. “Sand boarding is available in the camp”. (Overnight in Sahara Desert).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 6: Full day of sightseeing activities in Sahara :
On the 6th day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca and before sunrise, you may climb the sand dunes for a fantastic view of the amazing sunrise in the Sahara Desert, followed by a typical traditional Berber breakfast.
• Begin your day with a 1 hour Quad excursion through the Sahara Desert. Enjoy the exhilaration of speeding through the sands and up the dunes, where you will stop to enjoy a peaceful moment with just sky and sand for as far as you can see. You will have a professional guide to ensure your safety!
• Explore the Berber farms and fields of Merzouga and marvel at the ingenious underground water and irrigation system, for family agriculture and for spectacular date palms.
• Visit Tifert n igdad Lake or “Flamingos Lake”. During Spring the lake attracts many species of birds e.g. amazing colony of Greater Flamingos, desert Warbler, Egyptian Nightjar, Falcons, desert Sparrows and many more. Several species reside at the lake all year round. Other wildlife to be spotted at the lake are lizards, hedgehogs and desert foxes.
• Visit the Black Village of Khamlia, a little village with a big story. This village has a population of 390 of Black African families and Berber ethnic groups and it is located at the foothills of Merzouga dunes, doors to the great Sahara Desert.
• For centuries black Africans from the Gnawa tribe, originating from sub-Saharan countries such as The Sudan, Mali and Niger, were forcibly moved from their homelands across the Sahara to Morocco as part of the worldwide slave trade. Shackled in chains as they crossed the desert, they sang to soothe their pain and found a mindfulness in the rhythmic chanting and clanking of the chains.
• Today Khamlia’s inhabitants are direct descendants of these slaves. We will visit one of the music associations, have a cup of tea and listen to the Gnawa inspirational African music which is legendary from their ancestors, preserved from their original homeland and still played in a traditional manner.
• Partake of a delectable lunch of Berber Pizza which is a food specialty of the desert town of Merzouga.
• Visit a desert nomadic Berber family, share a cup of tea with them and be totally captivated by their lifestyle, their traditional tents and the harsh desert environment in which they live.
• Head to your Riad/Hotel in front of the sand sea for a rest or a swim at your leisure. (Overnight in Sahara).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 7: Sahara desert » Rissani » Todgha gorge » Dades valley :
On the 7th day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca and after having experienced 2 memorable nights in the spectacular sand sea desert dunes of Sahara, we depart for the town of Rissani.
• Between the 14th and 18th centuries it was the location of the famed desert capital, Sijilmassa , where fortunes in gold and slaves were traded via caravans crossing the Sahara desert.
• Step back in time and feel the ageless presence of the 200,000 strong annual camel trains crossing here on the trans-Saharan trade routes from sub Saharan African countries.
• Visit Rissani traditional markets / Souks. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Sundays, being the busiest shopping days for souvenirs, gifts, spices, crafts and jewellery such as silver. There is a live stock market for sheep, goats and donkeys, local fresh produce such as dates, olives, vegetables and many traditional items. You will explore these traditional markets and maybe taste some Moroccan sweet dates.
• Marvel at the globally renowned fossil town of Erfoud, where a stop at the fossil museum will uncover a ‘wealth’ of ancient specimens.
• Wander at leisure through the Todgha Gorge and witness the immensity of the red cliffs where international rock climbing feats are undertaken. The Todgha Gorge is globally recognized as a most spectacular canyon and has been used for several international movies such as the “Mummy”.
• Discover panoramic views of old Jewish and Berber mud villages and experience the presence of Berber nomads in the gorge herding their goats to drink at the river.
• Journey on to the magic of the Dades Valley and observe along the valley, amazing rock formations known as the Monkey fingers. (Overnight in Dades valley).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 8: Dades valley » Rose valley » Ouarzazate » Ksar Ait Benhaddou » High Atlas mountains » Marrakech :
On day 8 of your 10 days tour from Casablanca, after breakfast and spending the night in the heart of the beautiful Dades Valley, we continue driving through the Rose valley and Kalaat Mgouna, known as the Rose Capital and known for Damaskina Roses, also known for the annual festival during the rose harvest in May to choose Miss Rose of Morocco.
• Continue through the “Road of the thousand Kasbahs”, the iconic Berber mud brick villages and earth castles to the “Oasis of Skoura”.
• This oasis is UNESCO protected and is famous for its numerous Majestic Kasbahs and here we will stop to visit the iconic 17th century “Kasbah of Amridil”.
• Visit the city of Ouarzazate known as the “Hollywood of Africa” and the spectacular UNESCO listed Ksar Ait Benhaddou, the most intriguing of the red earth castles and one of the most eye-catching filming locations featured in Game of Thrones, Gladiator and more.
• Travel over the wilderness and natural beauty of the High Atlas Mountains, through the exceptionally scenic Tizi n Tichka Pass and witness the production of the world famous Argan Oil on the way to the magic city of Marrakech. (Overnight in Marrakech).
* 10 Days tour from casablanca.
Day 9: Marrakech day sightseeing guided tour :
On this day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca, you will embark on a full-day city tour of exotic and vibrant Marrakech, exploring in-depth, the rich cultural heritage and antiquity of this enchanting city.
Your Grand Morocco expert local guide will lead you through the UNESCO World Heritage listed, ancient-walled Medina, which dates back to the ancient Berber inhabitants and which extends back to more than 1700 BC.
• Visit Bahia Palace, a masterpiece of Moroccan and Andalusian architecture and a major monument of Morocco’s heritage. This 19th century palace was built by “Ba Ahmed”, the grand vizier of Marrakech & named after his favorite wife “Bahia”. Craftsmen worked on this palace for fourteen years. The tiles were imported from Tetouan, the marble from Meknes while the cedar wood used for the painted and shimmering ceilings came from the Atlas Mountains.
• Stop at a Berber Apothecary shop, learning of the medicinal uses of many of the common spices and herbs that are still used across Morocco to treat common illnesses.
• Visit Ben Youssef Madrasa, a 14th century school founded by the Moroccan Monarch “Abu el Hassan”, another beautiful example of Moroccan and Andalusian architecture. The Saadian dynasty enlarged and redecorated the building in 1570 and it became the largest Islamic college in north Africa.
• Observe the 12th century & largest mosque in Marrakech, “Koutoubia Mosque” and its 77 meter high minaret. It was completed during the reign of the Berber Almohad caliph Yaqub al-Mansour (1184-1199), and inspired other buildings such as the Giralda of Seville and the Hassan Tower of Rabat. Local laws restrict any new building projects from exceeding the height of the minaret, providing a focal point for all to enjoy.
• Visit Saadien tombs, the only remains of the Saadian Dynasty which ruled Marrakech in 1524 to 1659.
• Explore the UNESCO site of Djemaa el Fna Plaza which is the heart of Marrakech, where can be found traditional activities such as magicians, story tellers, musicians, snake charmers and Marrakech’s legendary Souks. When it was created in 1050 it was used for public execution. (Overnight in Riad / Hotel in Marrakech).
* 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
Day 10: Airport transfer :
On the last day of your 10 days tour from Casablanca and after breakfast, we will collect you from your Riad and transfer you to the airport, either Marrakech or Casablanca for your on-ward flight.
* Now ends your 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
What is included
- Travel in an air-conditioned 4WD or Minivan, with a professional, licenced English speaking driver/guide.
- Airport Pick up / drop off transfer.
- WiFi Hotspot in the car + 2 bottles of water each per day during this 10 days tour from casablanca.
- 10 days / 9 nights accommodation with breakfast in beautiful 3/4 or 5 star Hotels / Riads as you request.
- 1 lunch (day 4), 3 dinners in (day 5/6/7).
- Camel trek, quad bikes excursion in Sahara.
- Sand boarding in the Sahara desert (optional).
- Turbant (head wear) for each for the camel trek in the desert.
- Professional local city tour guides in Fes and Marrakech.
- Entrance to all the included sites and monuments of this 10 days tour from Casablanca.
- Overnight stay in a Desert luxury camp and camel trek.
- A visit to a local nomad family in Sahara.
- All taxes and fees for this 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
What is not included
- Travel insurance.
- Flight ticket.
- Meals not noted as included during this 10 Days tour from Casablanca.
- Snacks, drinks and incidentals.
- Hotel services, such as room service or laundry service.
- Tips and gratuities.
- Personal expenses.